Sunday 1 December 2013

Study Task Two - What's the story? Five Questions.

Five Questions

Five research questions. 
  1. What kind of people do we call your worships/who do we worship?
  2. Does anyone ever really need to meet face to face anymore?
  3. Why do we have such an obsession with collecting things?
  4. What outfits should you not wear to court?
  5. How do you create tension?
I began looking into some of these questions:

5. My idea behind asking question five, 'how do you create tension' comes from the feelings of intense quiet that I noticed in places such as Leeds library and perhaps also the atmosphere of the courts, where it was possible to sense the varied and sometimes very strong emotions that people were experiencing. It got me thinking about how there can be a number of ways to create and experience tension, or an environment in which it exists. It also then got me thinking of more playful variations of this, and other more humorous, or perhaps less obvious or even just more literal ways of doing this, such as creating tension with a rope.


3. Came from my observations at the library and how for so long we like to collect and store information. 

4. This question was sparked, when at the courts I noticed that a surprising amount of people had not appeared to have made a special effort to make their appearance any smarter, and in some instances they almost appeared to have dressed down. 

    RESEARCH TUTORIALS:
    Q.2.

  1. What kind of people do we call your worships/who do we worship?
The formal protocol of the courts and the green political documentations made me aware of protocol, and formalities and even tradition. I was especially interested in the way that in court this protocol was second nature, and almost casual with the way they use it so easily. 

During crits this idea was broadened, when it brought about the conversations of 'what do we worship' Can it be things , heirlooms, obsessions, religions...? 

(Although at this time the feedback I had had about my question 3, had been noted as not my best option to pursue, and that I should leave it, this notion of people worshiping things, and objects and of for example collecting heirlooms did get me more interested and curios about this idea of people being attached to, and collecting things, perhaps in an obsessive manner.)

Also with regards to formality and protocol, it was brought to my attention by the research tutorial that looking other training disciplines, such as military, and sport. The idea of looking at order or where it could come from. This still feels quite vague however as an area to pursue. 


Q.2:

The Favourite idea/question that I had was the second one, does anybody ever need to meet face to face anymore? This question I found myself asking in the courts, as I realised that most lawyers there had not actually met their client in person before, and all the correspondence prior to that had most likely been over the phone and perhaps email. I personally found it quite surprising that for something that seemed as important or as big as potentially a court trial could be that no face to face contact had been had.

This one sparked interest in looking at things like long distance relationships, and how increasingly as a society we communicate, organise and arrange things over the phone, and through the internet. We're so dependant on technology. I think from here, as this was the favoured idea to pursue that I would like to go on and look into this idea of relationships and correspondence down the phone, and to look at this idea of do we need to meet face to face anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment