Tuesday 5 January 2016

Illustration Research - Arthur Rackham

I came across these lovely book page artworks by Arthur Rackham. His illustrations are beautiful and intricate, and the colours give the pictures wonderful dated feelings that really add to and enhance the overall tone. I was particularly drawn to them as at first they reminded me of etching, which I love to do. The picture elements are simple and nothing enormously complex is attempted to be communicated through them, the scenes themselves do a lot of the talking. I like this as when I was a child listening to or reading stories I would imagine what was being described on the pages so vividly that complexly illustrated scenes in books would interfere with that. A scene like this is ideal as it just provides a beautiful, mystical setting to invest your own imagination into.




No comments:

Post a Comment