Friday 15 April 2016

THE DEEP Hull - A response and visit

They replied!

I went along for a visit on Tuesday 5th April:



A response! I have now arranged to go in and discuss my project idea with Graham Hill, their senior science officer. He was very friendly and interesting to talk to. 

I explained how I wanted to do this project on sharks, and talked about some of the research and things I had discovered so far, which can be seen on my Studio Practice blog, under the label of 'sea'. He liked the notion of bringing in an illustrators perspective and said that a good thing to aim to make would be a pop up exhibition, the topic of evolution being very interesting one - especially from the point of view of schools and key stage learning. A pop up exhibition is viable as it can be displayed in a whole manner of different locations and this would make my project a good one to do.

I asked him about how I should go about researching and working out what information to include, he said that reading the works of Richard Dawkins would be a good start, and that if I wanted any help understanding something I could always call him and he would be happy to discuss this with me. He talked about how the displays at the Deep were generally pitched at an audience of an intelligent 12 year old. He talked about how the independent actually used a style of writing and language aimed at an intellect not far off this too. 

He said that he would introduce me to their graphic designer, Jenny - and that I could hopefully get the opportunity to go in and shadow her, and learn about what she does and how it all works which would be amazing! 

He also said that he would put me into contact with Ali Hood from the sharks trust, and she could be the one to validate my project! Which would mean I could apply for funding to make it a reality.

The visit was conclude with him saying he would send me some proposal forms and that I should give him a contact of my tutor just to ensure that the project is a viable one, and I don't disappear. I was now have the opportunity to return there whenever I please if I sign in as a student. He gave me a safety induction there and showed me round the place.




Here is a drawing I did of their juvenile zebra sharks after paying them a visit. I had the opportunity to look round again afterwards, so I spent some time photographing and filming them to build up my own reference imagery.


No comments:

Post a Comment