Sunday 22 March 2015

Research - Mental Health

Time to Change - Get the Picture


This was a great article on about mental health, and how campaigns that show miserable pleople cluthing their heads are out dates, and not really helpful. In fact surveys suggest that these types of images can be damaging and have negative effects on people suffereing. "People with mental health problems don't look depressed all of the time".

It is quite a challenge to try and produce work that embodies this, but I wan't to at least give it a go and try and keep this in mind whilst I work. 




Here are a few drawings that I produced in response to this. With the horse I throught about the frustration and many other struggles that a person can have within themselves when they have depression. I think glimmers of these different emotions do show through, but it's not clear enough to others, this idea will need a lot more practice.

I think this artical has affirmed a bit more for me though that in genereal terms of a campaign I would prefere to steer clear of usning human faces, and use animals instead. Animals take things back to a much more basic and emotional level. There is much more simplicity with using them to represent and describe mental health.

I will continue to explore trying to use non human characters, in a bid to step away from cliche's and steryotypes, and the stigma that surrounds mental heatlh.

No comments:

Post a Comment