Thursday 5 March 2015

Geroge Stubbs

George Stubbs has been referred to as one of the greatest painter of horses of all time. Looking at his works, that certainly doesn't seem to be such a fair fetched leap at all. I couldn't resist taking his book out and reading it when I spotted it in the library. He has many incredible anatomical studies of horses muscular structures/anatomy, which has clearly influenced the magnificent way that he can capture their form movement and likeness.



I enjoyed studing his book, and it got me thinking about pusing a questioning the physical structure, such as the horses skelleton in my drawings. And considering movement into drawings.

Anyway I've been drawing a lot of horses for this new module as a part of my characters and narrative focus.

The ink and overall feel of this horse is quite Ralph Steadman. I was actually thinking of him as a drew this one, I put down the expressive ink marks first, and then worked into it with the skelleton. It's quite an emotional piece, it is supposed to communicate the saddness of loss, and the strength of  memory/affection that would endure. The text helps a bit to communicate this, but overall these things only come through quite abstractly perhaps.

I wanted to have a practice and see if I could inject any level of feelings and emotions into my work.




No comments:

Post a Comment