Monday 7 October 2013

Summer 10




Early Sketchbook experimentation 

In the end I decided to pursue the second, horse, idea. I felt this had a little more substance and scope behind it, and its a subject that I'm just that bit more passionate about. On my idea sheet I had sketched out some very little horses, drawing them with minimal simple outlines using watercolour. I quite liked this fast and more minimal approach, but the poster that I was aiming towards was A2, and so my next challenge was to find a way of scaling these drawings up, without losing the simplicity, yet effectiveness with the line of these smaller drawings, that due to their small scale I could let the brush strokes and marks do a lot of the work for me.  So I used my sketchbook to practice scaling up, one of the first techniques I tried to achieve this was simply by using a bigger and wider brush, so it would be the same as before only everything would be larger. This proved quite successful, and so I stuck with it doing drawing after drawing in an attempt to find that perfect balance of simple mark making, yet descriptive image. As I mentioned in my previous post I am getting a lot more visual with my sketchbooks and such, as before with the sketchbooks I had to create for A-level I could be known to fall into the trap of getting caught up with perfect presentation and writing, that some of the exploring and experimenting that sketchbooks can be essential for became a little lost. However this time I simply used it to practice again and again, and it completely transformed how I originally expected to produce my outcome. In the end I was making images that I did not see myself making at all, which is very exciting. 


My final poster, displayed on the wall in our mini exhibition. 

Overall the poster still needs more resolving, particularly when it comes to the spacing and placing of the ten images. Some are too close, and at rather different scales to each other. The images themselves are also still quite rough around the edges, but as was pointed out to me, thats the way with analog methods, there comes a point where you have to keep going with it and work with what you've got. I know that if i were to continue to resolve them through practice as I have been doing then they would continue to improve and become so much more together. I am a bit pleased with how I managed my time with this brief, although a long way from perfect, I still managed to achieve it with no rushing; a stress-free deadline! This project draws to a close the second and final induction week, and I have completely loved it. The more I learn about the course ahead, the more excited I am for it, and the more I think that it truly will suit me and the kind of person that I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment