Thursday 24 October 2013

Visual Skills. Studio Brief 1 - 128 ideas later.

Your Initial Brief

Idea Generation:




Folding an A2 piece of paper eight times creates 64 little rectangular boxes. Boxes that are  the perfect sizes to generate lots and lots of scamps. Its a really great technique for forcing yourself to come up with so many ideas, to the extent that it becomes almost obscured from the original word you were trying to depict. I doubt that I would have found it as easy to come to the types of outcomes that I have so far with methods that I might previously have used. It was also very different for me not using words and mind maps to generate ideas, to simply explore them through image making. Its good practice for me though, and I think I found it easier this way. 



In our Crit peer review session we discussed and asked questions about our five favourite ideas, that we had photocopied up to A5. I generally tried to ask questions that would help me select, refine and further develop my ideas closer to achieving the brief's objective. This poster will be a somewhat challenging for me no doubt, as my little biro drawings are just that, little. It wont be easy to scale them up so that they would work on A2, I shall have to experiment and explore with different media to find a way to make them work on a bigger scale. One group member suggested scaling these little drawings up even larger on the photocopier and seeing how that would work. Others suggested that I should perhaps try to combine a number of my ideas and put them all together on the larger poster, as I would have enough space for them all and this would avoid the difficulty of having to make my drawings huge. However of course the problem with this idea is that its going to become even more complex trying to make a bigger and busier scene successful aesthetically. It easily runs the risk of being either over crowded or not impactful enough, which rather defeats the purpose of using image to convey a meaning. 



Common issues everyone has been finding with this brief are, black and white! Its such a constraint not being able to use colour. It forces you to think far more about the materials you are using and how to go about making it more interesting for the viewer whilst still complying to greyscale. Another one that was even more easy to get caught up with was when choosing your own designs or discussing others was getting distracted with an idea that would perhaps look good but not really the best idea. These ideas don't quite answer the brief, and at the end of the day this is the important thing to keep in mind. It was also heard to strike that perfect balance between conveying the letter and the drawing, its hard to give both the equal care that they deserve and indeed require to work as a whole.

 


Above are the five ideas I selected as my favourites. The peer review didn't really help to choose one to take forward for development. Suggestions were to perhaps attempt to combine them in various ways, although as to what those ways could be no-one had any finite ideas. So I'll just have to experiment a lot more in my sketchbook. Everyone did quite like the slight simple charm of the ghost though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment