Wednesday 5 February 2014

Life Drawing

February 3rd




This was not a very long study, I was curious to experiment with different paper surfaces to draw on to, so here `i have used newspaper. I quite like the pastel colours that it appears to have created in the that make up the background, but the black on white of the font is bold, and becomes too over powering for this image to have much overall impact. I began using tip ex and biro shading in the background. I think that the tip ex was successful, on the body at least and I feel I could have applied it more choicely, so that it would add to the effects of shadows etc on the figures form. The biro shading in this instance is far less successful, its not equal, and just floats between the figure in the page. 




Another interesting paper surface, this textured page probably would have been more successful with pencils. I haven't quite used the colours of this one in the right places for it to be successful. 


Some warm up sketches with charcoal, the figure on the right shows a little promise. Charcoal can create wonderfully delicate, expressive and varied lines when it works. 


This study was not massively good, but I like the technique of using water with brush over fine liner. I like what is happening with the figures calf. I think next time it might work better if I use the washed fine liner in few places, but much more boldly, and in areas that will really improve the dynamics of the drawing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment