Monday 17 March 2014

Postcard Development SB2

New York


Here is some practice at drawing a building that I photographed in New York, and am interested in using in my postcard. I also started playing about with different ways and areas of using blocks of colours and the effects that they have on an image. In these cases I'm not sure that they are that successful, particularly the one on the top left, it detracts quite strongly from the actual line work. I felt that when I used it to fill in the corner of the building, it did make the image feel stronger however, so selective use of block colour can be effective, but it has to be quite carefully considered.


                                  

I liked the idea of using an iconic symbol for the cities in order to make them recognisable, but after doing the PPP task on vector based Illustration and artwork, I was interested in trying to approach my image making with more of a mind to this vector based approach. I liked the idea of breaking this apple down into faucets and straight sided shapes, I practiced this a few times and eventually condensed it so that it could entirely be formed out of triangles, but chose to keep a green vaguely apple shaped area of colour, which arguably defeats my point, and makes the triangles feel a little redundant, but I like the mix of the open smooth colour and all the little lines of the triangle fitting together. 

Edinburgh

I did some research into Edinburgh, and Scottish architecture, hoping to find good examples of iconic building details, that are somewhat bespoke or at least recognisable to this city. I feel like I was successful with this research, although my drawing quality is very poor, which also highlights that in the future I will need to concentrating on improving my ability to draw buildings and stonework.





Burma



Athens
 


No comments:

Post a Comment