Tuesday 27 October 2015

Progress Tutorial - Ben Jones

I had a super helpful progress tutorial today with Ben. We went through my briefs and he pointed out many things which I had neglected to consider, and helpful pointers for improvement.



War horse

For this brie I need to consider what type of work the folio society like, I need to do some research into them.
  • Often their front covers are foil block printed, so I should try and work more with shape so that this could be a possibility.
  • Go for this brief as I will likely enjoy it.
  • Try to create images that are a scene, this can be quite minimalistic.
  • Research that era, get an idea for the aesthetics of then.
  • Try to keep a cohesive aesthetic, perhaps with the use of a colour scheme.

Travelling man

This really is a bit of a smaller project, however it is a fairly big challenge to me as I am neither very good at portraits or screen printing. He liked that I was trying to challenge myself this way however, it's good to do this.

He also showed me how to go about creating half tones with photoshop and suggested I take a look at the work of a college of his.
  • Consider bringing photograph into the screen print.
  • Include/incorporate some text, quite nice with ink handmade.

Half Tones = Image, then mode, choose bitmap. Then this should give me the option to select half tone and then 'rounded.

Zine

I also asked him about my zine as I had some photocopy collage things that were a bit all over the place and that I wasn't sure about.
He quite liked what was happening, and suggested just to just edit it and design what I had so that it could look a bit more professional/successful. Combine some selective negative space and control to give it a designed/edited good vibes. Like Laura Carlin. Use and include some simplicity.

Children's book

Try applying proposal to Pan McMillan brief

Medical

1 a week, nice idea
treat like bit of an editorial brief

Animals

this could be my big idea, maybe even go as far as to look at WWF, and national trust.


No comments:

Post a Comment