Tuesday 23 February 2016

23rd Fed Individual Tutorials

I accidentally signed up to two tutorials today, which I feel bad about as I would dislike to take slots intended for other people. But they were both really excellent so I'm also quite pleased.

Patrick

We discussed my Big K idea, as for the last week I have been quite lost and unsure about it. 

  • Revisit the original Shark idea and apply the thinking discussed in previous group tutorial with Fred. 
  • Shouldn't let go of original enthusiasm, just work around problems.
  • Re think the audience, what I am proposing is aimed at what an be called a broader audience, which includes children and adults. I can explore these areas further as I research.
  • Less of an issue/conservation book and more of a discussion around the relationship between humankind/man and animals.
The key thing I took from that last point is that previously I was proposing to make a project as if I were a scientist, or at least a very science driven conservation campaign. What I should really do is be an illustrator about it, so explore the situation and research with an illustrators lens and focus. I can comment and interpret what I find this way. This also opens me up to much more broad research (ha name pun) so i can look at fascinating things like how sharks have been represented in art, and what I can discover about man's relationship through that.


Suggested a trip to Hull to visit these places:
  • Maritime Museum
  • Aquarium
  • Fruit Market

Jamie Mills

In this tutorial I discussed some of my other briefs especially the Arctic Tern children's book brief, Secret 7, big k, illustrating information and very briefly creatures.
  • Children's book? Invest time into environment. was good to brain storm. gave some good suggestions of illustrators to look up. - Focus on journey and view point. Part documentary/part fictional - tone?
  • Secret 7 gestural marks  directness of communication, focus on simplicity of marks - keep following on process from COP.
  • Kahuna - research interests! Holistic practice and interests. Some  similarities between this and arctic tern brief.
Suggested the book - The Web of Life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment