Saturday 20 February 2016

Development of Secret 7 Imagery

Here is my development for the John Lennon Imagine cover. I tested out lots of different variations, adding in the purple background in the end to give it a more thoughtful calming vibe as opposed to harsh white. Although I think something of the lifework is lost when it is removed from the plain paper textured background and I think this detracts from the overall tender quality of the drawing. 

I added the ink textures into the background as I felt it need something to unite the colour in the background and give the design  bigger overall sense of fluidity. It definitely doesn't work on the reddish background, the cooer is flat and harsh and entirely out of line with the entirety of the cover. The white horses on the lilac also did not seem to work, 

I tried to soften the black lifework of the horses, and while I like the results to an certain extent their over all impact and emotion is lost in some of the designs where the lifework is that bit too compatible/the same as the background. The design needs to be striking from further away as records are designed to sit amongst an array of other vibrant and competitive colours.


Here is the rest of my development:

I played around a lot with the size and scale of the whale on the record sleeve. Whales are very large as well we all know, so I made it come off the edge - making the most of scale!

I drew so many horses trying to achieve the perfect galloping horse, and alas I don't think I achieved it, I ran out of time before the deadline.


I am still not satisfied with the quality of the horse design for Dream 3, I have drawn so many horses for this and I cannot seem to get the right one. I want to create a peaceful horse galloping, getting across the sense of rhythm and power in the music, and also the calm and melodic nature of it too. Conceptually I like this and think it answers it well, however I can't make it the perfect reality that I want, these versions are mediocre/bad but I had to leave at this to make the deadline.




TAME IMPALA:

These horses were originally created with this idea in mind, to encapsulate the dance like, chasing and avoiding feeling that is created by the song, and in particular the music video for The less I know the better.





Since then I have evolved them out and refined them into other sleeve designs which I think would actually work better for other Songs.


No comments:

Post a Comment