Tuesday 9 February 2016

Progress Tutorial

We had a very helpful session digging up everyone's big k briefs and making sure an appropriate level of ambition and scope was invested into each. And that they would produce viable outcomes and projects for us all to work towards.

The idea I have at the moment is threatening to get too specific.

Problems with Sharks briefs:

  • Who is it for, fishermen don't care so much as they want and need the money to sustain their lives.
  • People can't help but be very afraid of sharks, the symbol of a fin is one of fear - especially to divers.
  • How then can you make people love sharks - you (I) see them as being beautiful, share this how?
  • Drawing process needs more scope than just sharks (sort of).
  • Whole project may become too focused on the end campaign and in the graphic design of it, detracting of beautiful exploration of drawing. 
Get facts. Start to illustrate facts.

Alternative suggestions from group crit:
  • Try and do beautiful drawings of top 100 endangered animals, from this a simple campaign can be sprung just be attaching a small link to WWF at the bottom. etc. - could then consider formats, create beautiful prints.
  • This could allow for more scope of pushing drawing abilities.
  • Forget about campaign for now as this is limiting my work.
  • At least get more diverse than just sharks.
My fears with this new suggestion are:
  1. This is potentially boring and not pushing myself enough - just drawing lots of beautiful animals, what am I trying to communicate, where is the problem solving to this? 
  2. I know what the end result ought to look like, this for me is scary and bad as generally when I try to create/realise a perfect drawing that I have in my mind or try to make my drawing look good they go flat and and are not at my best. My drawings are most successful when I am being playful and free.
  3. It feels like the self informing, big exploration project element is now gone with this, and I'm not sure where that leaves me.
I will need to keep working and further reflect on all of this and figure out in a week where I am going with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment