Thursday 14 November 2013

Studio Brief Four - A matter of Opinion.

Battling with the concepts

After the concepts crit on friday I was left feeling, if possible, even more lost. I received feed back from two of my peers, and they suggested different quotations that I should attempt. As it happened the quote, 'We are what we repeatedly do' was actually being used by quite a number of others in fairly similar ways. I personally think I preferred of my second quote, 'complex ideas produce simple things' and looking at it perhaps with examples of science, although it would require an awful lot of research. on one of my feedback forms they suggested that I do exactly this.

Torn between Ideas

Began working out ideas for Aristotle's "we are what we repeatedly do".
I started filling this A2 sheet with lots of little things people do on a daily basis. I liked the idea of making these things into people, to take the quotation quite literally, but these ideas just weren't working visually and a number of other people seemed to approaching this quotation with a very similar approach to this idea. So despite crits I felt that I had to shift my focus back the the second quotation that I explored more thoroughly, "Complex ideas produce simple things".




'Complex Ideas Produce Simple Things':






I really liked this sheep idea, which was that a complex, multi billion cell organism such as a sheep could produce something as simple as wool. I played about with this idea expanding it and exploring it as much as I could, but I couldn't quite make it work visually, and in some feedback it was brought to my attention that of course sheep are not regarded as being complex, but very much the opposite. I then was faced with the challenge of trying to portray them as being convincingly complex enough. I turned to the actual process in which the sheep's fleece is taken then turned into wool.

This led rise to the idea of instead of using all three images/frames to the sheep perhaps I could look at three different ideas that show the complex process of how a simple thing (such as sheep's wool) came about. After doing a little further research into this I thought that the title "why is the sky blue?" would be a really good idea and way of showing how there is such an intense complexity behind things that can seem so simple to us. In the end I decided to simply use the blue sky idea, and dedicate all three images to this.

'Complex Ideas Produce Simple Things'







Above is some of my researching into the complicated science of the reason that the sky is blue. At the moment I think I am interested in trying to portray this information in a more complex manner, which I can then contrast with the simplicity of my final image which I hope to just be an uncomplicated image which has the sky as its central focus. My aim is that it looks like a visual interpretation of the quotation, 'complex ideas produce simple things'.



exploration of a range of media's to create the sky. The ink and water isn't quite powerful enough, or look quite like a classic blue sky. The brusho and water below it is better, the colours are far stronger but tone is very varied to be a clear blue sky, so I like the acrylic one best, as it achieves a solid, vibrant look for the sky, which has the more simple yet still a little powerful effect I would like to achieve. 

Making the Final Resolutions


I used layout paper and drew out the size and layout of my final three resolutions, then using a light box I sketched out compositions onto some other cartridge paper. This method was really helpful to me as it meant that i could play about with compositions within the frame multiple times, without the time consuming hassle of having to re-draw out my guidelines each time. It also really took the pressure off me having to produce a 'final' resolution. This is definitely one of my biggest problems when it comes to projects, I have no problems with drawing and sketching out my ideas in my sketchbook but when it comes to producing the final piece I begin to try too hard and so my drawing quality actually becomes inhibited, meaning I am never happy with my final work. This method is beginning to combat that.

I aim to scan them into the computer and further edit them a little on photoshop, then I can print them out to a bigger size so that they fulfil the sizing criteria of the brief. This has allowed me to work at a smaller scale which at the moment I do tend to feel more comfortable working at, and often feel I perform better.

No comments:

Post a Comment