Monday 18 November 2013

Visual Skills - End of Module Self Evaluation

I have certainly developed my photoshop skills considerably. Before I had started this module I had barely ever used the software before so it has been a very valuable and interesting learning curve for me. I still have rather a long way to go with it and am still slow, but I enjoyed experimenting with it for studio brief two, and it was really satisfying to be able to use it (albeit not entirely successfully) for the latest brief, studio brief four. I think particularly with my way of working, which can be rather painterly and messy, photoshop will prove to be an invaluable tool for cleaning up my work and raising it closer to that professional standard which we all strive for.

Idea generation techniques is another thing that I have developed and successfully applied during this module. Particularity the exercise that involved folding an A2 sheet of paper into 64 little rectangles, as this forced me to only think and come up with ideas through drawing and visuals, which resulted in me producing and developing images that I would not have come to from some or my original 'mind-mapping' and more word focused techniques. This very important notion of 'drawing is thinking' has also been a successful approach to image making for this reason, you find yourself producing images and coming up with ideas that would not normally have occurred.

Techniques such as the word and image association really helped to evolve my thought process, alongside simply getting a very good understanding of the subject matter of the brief. Wether that be getting to know our partners for studio brief one, or reading the article again and again until every part of it makes sense, and so that you can be confident in knowing precisely what it is about, which of course means that you can know where to focus, I've found this gives me a plinth and direction when it comes to launching off into coming up with as many concepts as you possibly can.

Strengths that I could identify in my work are my initial development of thought into ideas, and then furthering these along into more revolved and refined concepts. I think to capitalise on this I could begin to inject more care into some of my initial drawings, and try out completely different approaches to all forms of image making to those that I am currently more comfortable and familiar. Looking more closely at other illustrators work will help this too. Also my playful and experimental nature when it comes to using media, I enjoy becoming very creative with it, so in future I'd like to make a point of using this much more.

Although there are several weakness in my work, I would say that a few of the most key, and detrimental are: My fear of the edge of the frame. A lot of my illustrations are left 'floating' away from the edge, and it completely spoils the effective of the piece. It is a waste of a valuable tool not to use the edge and so I will be sure to work on this problem, even by using little techniques such as drawing an additional larger boarder and working to that one instead. I need to work on scaling up, I have struggled so far to be satisfied with the quality of my work when it is to be to a much larger scale. either using digital, or simply more drawing practice will be very helpful to me. The other main problem I am having with my practice is creating final resolutions. Although I could draw out an idea quite happily in my sketchbook as soon as I go to draw it well for the final piece, my line work becomes so much more inhibited and I feel it degrades considerably. I think this is partly due to a lack of confidence, and partly due to the perfectionist within me. I'm scared of ruining it, and so ironically this fear jars me and often causes me to do just that. Using digital to finish and edit my work will relieve this pressure somewhat, as I gradually begin to see with my final outcomes for studio brief four.

Five things that I will do differently next time:


  1. Embrace digital, computers are an invaluable tool and can make or break a works overall finish and quality.
  2. To not be afraid of edges. Use the boarders to my advantage, they can be a brilliant tool.
  3. To bring much more resolved work to crits. This could make all the difference to my projects, it will hep my concepts evolve far more. "The more you put in, the more you'll get out of it"
  4. Be radical, and produce some work that is very different to that which I am producing now. This ought to help my final resolutions become that much better or more exciting to me. 
  5. Have more confidence and not be disheartened when my resolutions don't come together, or my ideas slink off down a dry slope. Illustration is not an industry for the fainthearted, you need a tough skin, and, something I shall never stop being fascinated at my cat for, 'bounce'. (Her fur pings back and ripples if you stoke her - its endlessly entertaining to watch) So long as I stay positive about my work, things will only ever get better. Its why I'm here. 

Self grading:
Attendance - 5
Punctuality - 4
Motivation - 3
Commitment - 4
Quantity of work produced - 3
Quality of work produced - 1
Contribution to the group - 2



No comments:

Post a Comment