Thursday 23 January 2014

Book Title Composition

It has been established from previous feedback that this book needs a title, and I believe that with the simple title of 'Collections' it will assist readers as the explore it and puzzle over precisely what its content is, this title helps to bring it all together. Its difficult deciding where I want to place it on my cover, or if indeed I want to place it on my cover at all. I am tempted to put it on both of the inside covers, as in my opinion none of the front cover variations I have been trying out below stand out as being the best or look as neat and suited to the book as I would like. 

I used a word document to easily and quickly test out different variations of how it could turn out, so that I could get a rough idea. I played about with different fonts, I have ended up leaning towards these serif ones. I find them a little in keeping with the type used on the front of the green books documenting the political information that I encountered on my very first of the tree seats in the top of Leeds library. I think I would prefer it even smaller but I feel that would be simply too fiddly and impractical to produce. 
one

two

three

four

five

six

seven

eight

nine

ten

None of these designs stand out to me at all actually, I'm finding it rather tricky to fit the title on without it overpowering the books shape and its content inside. 

Originally I was hoping to be able to perhaps emboss or print in some way the title on, but I enquired about this during my book binding session and it turns out that these process require inductions that I do not have with equipment such as the laser cutter, and they would also be rather complicated and take a lot of time, which I do not have anymore. So I eventually decided that for the title of the book, my best bet would be to use a stencil and cut it out with a scalpel, then used a stiff brush to push a dry medium through it such as acrylic paint. They also recommended that I cut it out in masking tape, as it would be a bit more flexible, durable and versatile (woo big up masking tape). 


This method did prove successful! However I had to change my font and re-cut out the letters a few times, and it worked better as a stencil the first few times that you used it, as after that it began to get too clogged up with paint, which would leave distortions and blurs to the text, which was a bit of a shame on my other two books. I chose gold/metallic colour as it makes the small letters stand out that little bit more, it doesn't clash with any of the colours, and once again it links back and matches the style of the original green books from the top of Leeds Library.

Finally, I am quite pleased with how this method turned out and I think that the results compliment the rest of the book and its content well. It was a good decision to make the font as small as I did, it does the job perfectly and it is not too stylised or detracts from the attention of the book. It could look neater, but the slight irregularity of it definitely lends to the aesthetics in a complimentary and positive way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment