Monday 27 January 2014

The Collectors behind the Collections

The collections I drew and included in my book was mostly all from real peoples collections, that I had discovered in my research over the Christmas holidays:


 To source my collections Rocks, Tristan. Taken from the top of Ben Nevis, after completing the tree peak challange. Fit nicely in my hand/in my pocket, There wasn't any decisions made on colour all the rock up there is the same here just different shapes.
So looked for ones with cool shapes.





Mums shell collections, bit rustic.





Train tickets, these also belonged to Tristan, who had been collecting them for the last few years, they document the journeys he made as a part of his routine, and then also the stray adventure elsewhere. The begin with their repetition to create a sense of his life almost. "Well whats the point in throwing something like that away...ann so they just built up" "it was kinda lie a physical thing - like I did that". "sometimes a different one would turn up. A special day."

The coppers belonged to my sister, she likes to keep them all in little stacks on one of her desk shelves, "somethings just accumulate." 

The Shells belonged to my cousin, who had gathered them from the ocean floor on a scuba diving experience in Brazil.  "The were a reminder of a wonderful things, a trophy of proof to me"

The ink bottles collection came from my granny, she had accumulated them over the years, some even turning up in fields from around the farm. She liked them for their aesthetics and keeps them on the mantle piece in the dining room. 








Feather collection created by my sister. They were found around the farm and she liked them for their nice aesthetics. Its a shame but this collection is now missing the most interesting feather that turned up on the farm, which was that of a parrot. 






 A CD collection, this is quite a logical thing to collect however, and I am really more interested in looking at things that in general have less real life value perhaps, and can be found not bought. So I feel this will not benefit my book or my concept.




Ink bottles on mantle piece. 


Collections of glassware. 


Elastic bands - Granny again! She had accumulated such an enormous amount over time, and her grandchildren used to turn them into a ball by adding them all together.

Wishbugs. Well really they are thistle seeds, but not to my six year old sister. She went around the garden one summer day gathering these whispy seeds into an empty margarine tub which had holes punched into the lid for them to breath of course, and was filled with beautiful flower petals.






No comments:

Post a Comment